Drawn to My Attention – Theora’s First Newsletter
The below is from my first email newsletter. If you’d like to sign up and get occasional updates, click here.
From the illustration studio of Theora Kvitka
In mid-August, I took a leap towards my dream and made illustration my primary occupation. I’ve never before been able to devote this much time and energy to doing what I love and I am thrilled to share my progress with each of you!
News & Upates
- In July I attended the ICON8 illustration conferrence in Portland, Oregon. It was an incredible experience to be surrounded by so much talent and energy, as well as explore Portland with my Aunt Joan and Uncle Dan!
- Chicago band The Amen Brothers is releasing their first album this Fall using Kickstarter funding. I illustrated the inside of the tri-fold CD case, and the logo I created for the front is now being used on t-shirts, too.
- The literary food magazine Graze is releasing their 6th issue in a couple weeks, and I’m in it! Two of my original paintings will accompany a coming-of-age story called “Golden Delicous”. You can purchase the magazine online, or, if you’re in Chicago, join me at the release party!
- The lovely Betty Alper of Bot Bakery and I are working together on a recipe card project. I am creating borders and artwork for each card that matches her colorful vintage style and vegan, gluten-free baked goods! Betty has been invited to represent the United States at the Slow Food Conference in Italy this fall, where she will take the cards (indigogo project here).
- I am finishing up a watercolored and hand-lettered book cover for the novel Septimus Salt by Andew Mooney. The Odyssean story centers around a boy who sets sail for the moon and runs into many characters along the way, including professors with pipes up their noses, snakes who turn men into chickens, and his true love, a woman searching for the sun.
As I get my illustration business off the ground, I’d love to have your help. Here’s how:
- Follow me on Tumblr, Twitter or Pinterest and re-blog/ re-tweet/ re-pin my work if you like it!
- Refer me to your friends or acquaintances who need illustration services; I would hugely appreciate it. If you can think of any small business owners, musicians, restaurant/ bar owners, app designers or publishers you know please introduce me or share my work!
That’s all for now, thanks for reading!